View Single Post
Old April 4, 2012   #84
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Carolyn, that is something I did not know about Black Cherry! I wonder if there is still some old seed floating around giving people fits? I read that Black Cherry was a TGS "exclusive" on their website, which gave me the smallest nagging worry that my Black Cherry from Pinetree is something else, but reading on this forum about the good vigilance of certain heirloom growers against the renaming of varieties (thank you, again), I am continuing with the assumption that Black Cherry is Black Cherry.

On further consideration, I see that my earlier statement about Brandy Boy was based on a series of assumptions. I suppose my point about Brandy Boy is more a point of curiosity about its parentage. Which, if I'd thought it through, I probably could've searched out. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Brandywine was one of the parents or at least prominent in the lineage. Based on that assumption, I further assumed a dehybridized Brandy Boy would essentially be Brandywine, if the BW characteristics were the ones being sought by the breeder/dehybridizer anyway. Not to say that it might not have interesting results, but that if the point of Brandy Boy was creating a 'clone' (not a true clone, I don't mean, sorry if that muddies the waters) of Brandywine with 'hybrid vigor,' or in other words, a hybrid for the sake of having a hybrid for the hybrid crowd, you'd essentially be breeding for Brandywine, which we already have. But I may have been dead wrong in the assumption that other growers believe Brandy Boy and Brandywine to be very, very similar plants, as I do. I am far less experienced than others, who may easily have noticed bigger differences.

Which all adds up to: my brain isn't matching the speed of my fingers these days. Thanks for your patience.