View Single Post
Old April 7, 2012   #37
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
LOL.... I don't have that problem. Brocolli is strictly a spring and/or fall crop here. Just not feasible to get them through the heat and humidity of our summers.
i don't agree with that. it's hot here and VERY humid. frankly summer sucks 90% of the time, make that 95%.

one summer it was wicked hot, upper 90's may have hit 100 a day or 2. i had the best broccoli that summer! why? i watered. period.

heat does not seem to hurt calebrese green spouting (cgs) so i assume this is true for all broccoli but there may be varieties that are effected by 85+ degrees. 85 here is a not so hot day and 82 is pleasant.

i gave the plants a good watering every day. this was late july early august and the leaves were huge and shaded the ground well. those plants cranked out 2-3" side shoots in the heat. now cgs is noted for large side shoots but these were mini heads and in that heat!

so i now think broccoli does fine all summer with adequate watering. i have grown broccoli all summer from may plantings for over a decade. some years it did poorly in summer heat but i may have failed to water it enough. look at what the israeli's do in a desert with water!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote