View Single Post
Old April 11, 2012   #54
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth, I feed the bokashi to my compost worms, they love the stuff.
Here's how I got started with the whole deal several years ago.....

Again, from and old website post:

I’m a big fan of coupling bokashi with worm composting.
Worms can take much more acidity then some folks think.
I learned a long time ago that low temperature composting is the way to compost when maximum available nutrients are the goal.
I got started with vermiculture a long time ago, vermiculture ALWAYS produces compost far superior to high heat methods.
Bokashi compliments vermiculture.
I noticed at a neighbors farm a few years ago that compost worms were thriving in corn silage that had spilled down around the outside of the silo, I had always read that acidity was bad for worms and that they wouldn’t do well in low PH, turns out that was a lie, not only were they thriving they were converting the fermented silage into castings at a rapid rate (the silage was acidic enough so that I could feel a slight burning sensation on the scratches on my hand).
It wasn’t long after that that I stumbled upon the bokashi thing while searching composting videos on youtube.
I immediately said to myself, all this is is ensiling, it was then that I started experimenting.
So, not only is the bokashi broken down fairly rapidly by the worms, the waste is also stabilized for long periods of time so I can ration it out to the worms. I wouldn’t attempt to adjust the ph of the bokashi unless it’s extremely acid, but I’m not sure that even that is a necessity.

I only wish I had more worms to work with.

~Martin