View Single Post
Old April 13, 2012   #30
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
The like or dislike of greens could be one of those genetic taste things - I think Cilantro tastes like soapy water, my wife and daughter craves it. My wife and I think the cabbage family is very sweet tasting - many find them as bitter. All due to each of our genetic make up....there is a gene for the cabbage family tasting horribly bitter - if one finds that, they have the gene from both parents - if slightly bitter only one.

Fascinating!

I like the flavor of beet greens far better than chard - more tender, a sweeter taste to my palate - but I love them all. We've started eating loads of collards and kale - all depends upon how you prepare them, in my view. We do Collards with sesame oil, ginger, garlic, hot pepper flakes and pineapple and use them as a bed for grilled fish. yum!
Very fascinating! I haven't tried beet greens. I find chard taste a bit like " dirt" but continue to grow it because it's the only green other than malabar, new Zealand and amaranth that I can get to survive through summer in AZ. I do like it in smaller quantities, usually in a soup or omelette. Mainly, it's so darn pretty in the garden that I plant a lot as a foliage backdrop and feed extras to the chickens.
I'll have to try beets instead, since I really love pickled and roasted beets as well. I've actually not tried growing them yet. I just noticed one of my chards was growing a "beet"!
My husband and I really prefer spinach, kale or cabbage but it just won't grow in the heat. I need to give collards another try. I think it may handle a better part of the year here, at least in the shade. Sometimes kale will hang on but it gets bitter when the weather heats up.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote