View Single Post
Old April 13, 2012   #74
camochef
Tomatovillian™

While I haven't ordered any seeds from Lisa at Amishland since, Oh, it must have been around 2007, the fact is, many of my favorite varieties came from her.
They include such as: Amazon Chocolate, Lancaster County Pink, Gigantesque, and what has been proving itself to be a great Brandywine, Brandywine-Glicks. The past couple years, BW-Glicks has even surpassed my Cowlick-BW.
I have yet to find another tomato like Amazon Chocolate, anywhere, and I've grown almost every dark/black tomato over the past 5-6 years that I could find.
Many years, Lancaster County Pink has been one of if not the first, slicer to ripen. nothing similar comes close.
BW-Glicks always ripens before BW-sudduths or just plain BW/Pink BW, although it has never beaten Cowlicks-BW (original P.L.) or Jon's BW-Cowlicks R.L. which usually ripens about 1 week earlier.
That said in defence, I also must point out with my early orders, and with orders over the years by friends dealing with her, there's always been delays in receiving orders. Whether its the flu, (as it was in my case), or a death in the family, or a horrible cold, or the inability to keep up with the deluge of orders, being only one person, etc. It usually takes an extrordinary amount of time and communications before one's order finally arrives.
What I don't understand is why the name changing issue is so important here and yet others that try to change names of certain varieties, get rave reviews and support.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to express some facts as I see them. After all, while I have my Cowlicks-BW, I'd hate to be without BW-Glicks. I have Dana's Dusky Rose and Bear Creek as dark/black favorites, but would surely miss the larger Amazon Chocolate. My favorite red tomato is Tarasenko6 but Gigantesque is right behind it. I can't count how many times Lancaster County Pink has been the first slicer to ripen.
So there are pluses and minuses, but don't we have that with most businesses.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote