View Single Post
Old April 19, 2012   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

in my experience they get big and have large cores. i've had some 16" long and about 2" at the top. they were not all that good at that size.

i stopped planting seed in spring cuz by the time we get frost they are too old and too large, frost sweetens them. i switched to seeding them in late june.

i gave up growing carrots cuz the planting and weeding was a killer. i planted a small block like 2' X 3' or 3' X 3' spacing them 2" on center, try that in the heat of late june. i never planted a row.

by mid september the deer who did not eat anything all year would eat the tops and sometimes in doing do pull the carrots out of the ground. i devised a cover made from welded wire fence to stop that. just too much trouble.

i often ended up tossing pounds and pounds into the compost as i did not use them. it's such a heartbreak to throw out 20 or 25 pounds of carrots. sometimes they rot in the fridge and i was growing bolero the longest storage carrot there is. i grow a lot of butternut squash so i tended to not eat a lot of carrots as i had an orange vegetable i ate a lot of.

so now i just buy a 1 pound bag of organic carrots in the store. i found for how little i use it was a better way tho i liked to grow them and it was great fun to dig them and see what would come up!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote