View Single Post
Old May 24, 2012   #30
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Ami,
I went looking for the planter the minute Andrea mentioned it. Apparently it is in their April magazine issue and will be on the web, but not for another month at least.
I did find some photos of a build on this website.
http://larksperennials.com/forum/gre...-self-watering

Andrea,
You wrote that you swapped out the rubber mulch for hardwood. Huge step up from the rubber, however - Hardwood isn't supposed to be good for tomatoes. Someone brighter than I will need to explain though.
Wow you are a good researcher...that is also my link. LOL

Oh wow, i can't seem to get this right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
James, thanks for the link.

The problem with hardwood mulch James was referring to is if it is made out of Black Walnut it can cause problems with tomatoes. Otherwise you may need to supplement the nitrogen in the soil as the microbes use nitrogen to break down the mulch which will later become available to the soil. It can acidify the soil but if you have added lime to the soil it shoudn't be a player as tomatoes like soil on the acid side anyway. Ami
hmmm, well not sure if it makes a difference but I have plastic under all of the mulch except the small bed next to the SIP. The only tomato that I have in that bed is the Big Zac. I am almost positive that I put lime in the bed also.

Going forward...which mulch (big box stores) do you recommend?