View Single Post
Old June 2, 2012   #1
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Default So what mysteries are you growing this year?

Meaning - the unexpected, or odd looking, or off looking seedling (not just those that you've not tried before).

Mine - and this is where my future gardening stuff always balloons, because mysteries lead to growouts which leads to surprises and it all can get big in a hurry! The small pot, extreme prune indeterminate thing has allowed me to plant more of the surprises than usual - more room to fit them in!

Anyway - these are the plants that I probably should have tossed...but instead, they are growing!

Abraham Lincoln - potato leaf (sent by a gardening friend - his original source was USDA seed)
Lucky Cross regular leaf (very likely a new F1) - growing two of these (regular leaf plants nearby last year - Cherokee chocolate and Yellow prue)
Trader Joe Yellow Cherry (not sure if it was a hybrid or not - all seedlings looked uniform)
Green Giant regular leaf (likely a new F1 - flowers are big!) - seed from TGSC, so their issue
Large Lucky Red regular leaf (ditto - no buds yet)
Casey's Pure Yellow regular leaf - growing two of them (ditto - and the flowers are very big on one, the other looks like cherry sized fruit) (nearby - Kimbery and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye)
Lillian's Yellow regular leaf (ditto - just buds, can't tell the size) (nearby plants last year - Vzryv and Dr Carolyn's Pink)
Indian Stripe X Purple smudge F1 (from last year) - growing 3 of the F2s - they have different stem color (one was quite purple, and the young foliage had a purplish cast)
Summertime Green indeterminate regular leaf - likely an F1 (nearby plants - Cherokee Chocolate and the Indian Stripe cross! Flowers look big)

If any of these seem interesting, I may be offering seed for people to play with next spring. The challenging part is that the F1s of accidental crosses are often not all that interesting - it is in the F2 that things can get pretty cool to see.