View Single Post
Old June 25, 2012   #62
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi meadowyck, I don't know how I missed your post, sorry.

I'm not on a balcony but I am in limited space so standing them next to each other is out of the space ability.

I have to evacuate if there is a hurricane coming, having permanent setups is definitely not on my agenda. I do have one of the buckets with doubled up cinder blocks surrounding it and I haven't had the problem of it falling over. That plant has met it's maker and is no longer in the battle to keep them upright, lol.

So far I am ok with just one layer of bricks and growing determinates, my concern is the unexpected indeterminates I was given and the top heavy problem I am experiencing at the moment. One thing though, I had to cut the plants so far back that I believe my tomato season is just about over and I only got a few (like 6) tomatoes per plant.

It is too hot to set any new tomatoes, although, I see new flowers on the tops of the plants, making it hard to decide if I should just let them go and see what happens or pull them in the next couple of weeks. The height of the plants is part of the problem for me, I have vertigo which makes climbing ladders off the list of chores.

I will be planting some tomato seeds about mid July, those should all be determinate like I would like them to be. I will also be starting some seeds that Craig sent me for the Dwarf Tomato Project and am hoping for a good outcome. I have three plants he sent me recently and they are doing fantastic.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote