View Single Post
Old June 26, 2012   #1
Save$
Tomatovillian™

Default ? herbicide damage.

My 21 tomato plants were growing just fine, then out of nowhere, some had this twisted and mangled leaf growth. I cut some of the leaves and put them under a magnifying glass. Only found a few aphids. Mostly impacted was the middle row of tomatoes. The area was lawn until this spring when I tilled some lawn under to make room for these plants. Some of the plants in the side rows are lush and rapidly growing. We have had a lot of rain, and cool evenings. First it appeared on one plant then others. Tonight I noticed some tips on some of the plants in the cloche planted 50 ft away. Looking through the plant disease section in this forum, it looks all the world like damage from Herbicide. Will these pants outgrow that, or will I need to cut of the damage or pull the plants? I sprayed that lawn two years ago for broadleaved weeds. My neighbor has a professional service that treats his lawn on a regular basis. But he is well over a 100 ft away and there is a thick brush and tree row between us. No other plants seem impacted.
If I did this right, the first picture is one I downloaded from the net that looks like my plants, it is 2 4 D damage. The second picture should be a closeup of some leaves I cut off. the third is my damaged plant, the last is a normal plant growing next to the damaged one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato damage..jpg (31.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg tomato issue 001.jpg (249.4 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 003 (640x480).jpg (418.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 007 (640x480).jpg (402.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Save$; June 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Save$ is offline   Reply With Quote