View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012   #58
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

A few non-planned mysteries are showing up! Cherokee chocolate (saved in 1998) is not Cherokee chocolate, but instead a super-prolific (and tasty) 2 ounce round red - indicative of a cross of course. Looking back, that particular Cherokee chocolate was growing quite near Anna Russian and Eva Purple Ball. Of course I saved seeds....so this will be a future mini project.

Then there was what I thought was Cherokee Purple from 1999. But I made a cross-reference transcription mistake - and what I am actually growing is seed from a bicolor I got at the Raleigh Farmers Market back then!

One more....Tennessee Britches, purchased from Victory, is a large pale yellow, nearly white oblate beefsteak type...not sure what's going on here - recessive traits showing, so suspect just stray seed.

All three of the Indian Stripe X Purple Smudge (my guess) F2s seem to be round tomatoes that are still quite small - two of the three have fruit, the other blooming (that's the one with the most purple in the stem). Maybe I will know something more in a few weeks.