View Single Post
Old July 10, 2012   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/pi_books/scans/pi135.pdf pages 45 -49 shows some of the collection history of many of the tomatoes collected in Central America/South America during 1938. Most of these tomatoes were collected by H. L. Blood of Utah. I picked up dozens of these accessions when they were being grown out for seed increase near Ames, Iowa beginning in the 1950's onward

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...o_acc.pl?52988 shows a more useable site to request some of these old tomatoes.

I rarely maintain seed inventory to disperse from my requests but convert them into complicated hybrids....say an OP of the cross (Guatemala x Panama) x (Peru x Argentina)...however even these have been crossed into even more complicated pedigrees. I collected...by myself..several semi wild tomatoes in Costa Rica when I was there nearly 40 years ago, but I doubt if I saved any viable seed.

The problem I saw with Central American tomatoes is that they were unimproved cultivars...seedy...rough shapes...cherries...possessing only a few disease resistance traits but little else. I must grow out these crosses of yesteryear just to offer viable seed of odd pedigrees.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote