View Single Post
Old August 9, 2012   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately I don't have a good source for containers like you are looking for. Packing crates can be horribly expensive and tend to "grow legs". We are down to about 1/2 of what we had at one time.

Personally I don't do much sales direct to restaurants any more. When I did, I used the cardboard as no one wants to give crates back.

Way back ages ago I got a whole lot of large 1.5 bu plastic crates. But it was a 1 shot deal from someone that got them in a closeout of some sort. You used to be able to get the black 1 bu crates from the companies that got bulbs in them. Since they take up as much room empty as full, the companies didn't want them back. too much to ship them. But now they have the folding crates and you hardly see the others any more.

We pick mostly in 5 gal buckets and wash in a huge stainless sink in the barn.

Mostly we use the green plastic pints that you can get from Monte. They have all kinds of packing supplies. There is a company in Watertown that has some crates, but I could never afford them so I don't remember their name right now. There is also a place near the Dells that has decent prices on some supplies. Glacier Valley. Their web page sucks tho.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote