View Single Post
Old August 17, 2012   #9
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I haven't had any issues with the plastic side trim melting. The top of the burner plate is raised above the plastic sides by about 1/4 inch and the Presto pressure canner has a raised central section on the bottom that is just slightly larger diameter than the burner that's about another 1/4 inch high. So that even though the bottom of the canner extends over the plastic side trim, it's about about 1/2 inch above it. I pressure steamed a pork shoulder today using my 8 qt Fagor pressure cooker on the burner. I had it on high pressure for nearly an hour and no signs of the plastic even softening (although it got sort of hot).

One caution in using the burner is to make sure not to overload the circuit. I had the Waring Burner on as the same time as my Duxtop 1800 watt Induction burner (boiling down two big pots of tomato sauce), a small fan, and my graylab darkroom timer that I now use for cooking timing. Everything was fine until I turned on the DeLonghi Convection oven. OOPS!! That tripped and actually broke the circuit breaker so that it needed to be replaced ($$$). While waiting for the electrician to come and fix things the next morning, I moved one of my burners into the dining room (different circuit) and, using an extension cord, hooked the other to the patio outlet that was on a thrid circuit. Worked out fine and just took a few minutes to get back in action.

Oh, one other thing. When I pressure cooked my pork on the Warning burner today, it seemed like it brought the pot up to pressure as fast as or maybe even faster than the induction cooktop.

BTW, I really like the Fagor SS Pressue cookers (I have the Duo Combi set). I don't know if it would be large enough for your needs, Katherine, but I'd go for the Fagor 10 qt pressure canner, to use on your induction cooktop. (Off the top of my head - haven't really researched the subject of SS canners - but I do trust the Fagor brand!)

Anne
Merced, CA
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote