View Single Post
Old August 24, 2012   #182
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
All I know is this knocked out about 30% of my crop. I will only grow disease resistant plants going forward.

If you do that then you are dooming yourself to some fairly tasteless tomatoes that are all very similar. TSWV doesn't hit every year and even the resistant plants will get it sometimes. They just have the ability to withstand it longer. If you plan on going ahead with that then from the commercial growers around here the best resistant tomato is one called Amelia. TSWV hits this area nearly every year to one degree or another. This past season was the lightest hit I have taken in about 8 or 9 years because I only lost a couple of plants to it; but this was one of the worst years in a very long time for fusarium wilt.

Due to the bad fusarium problem I deal with every year I spent nearly twenty years growing those highly resistant varieties and after eating the first few their sameness was a real downer after a while. I decided to just go with growing tomatoes that I really liked that had some ability to produce. I have to replace a lot of plants but I do enjoy the tomatoes so much more. I also always plant a few Big Beefs for insurance even though they are not TSWV resistant they are to me the best of the fusarium resistant hybrids.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote