Thread: ? LB or what
View Single Post
Old September 8, 2012   #5
Save$
Tomatovillian™

Here we are a week later. The tomato vines are all dead. All the leaves and vines are black. We picked 5, 5 gallon buckets. We canned the last of the good ones today. Many started to shows signs of being infected. Albout one pail full. We made green tomato relish, dilled green tomatoes, canned red tomatoes, and pressure canned tomatoes with yellow summer squash. Seems I get hit now every year with LB about this time. I tried Defient last year, and they, true to their name, didn't get infected until the very end of the season. Only thing is I didn't care for them. They are small, very bland tasting. They do can well. So next year, I will need to include them back in the line up. I wish I could find another spot to grow my tomatoes. Somewhere way away from anything I brought home from the box stores. We set out over a hundred seedlings of petunias etc. I understand, that while they are not affected, that they can carry the BL on them. I live in the woods, several hundred yard away for any other gardens. I have a neighbor, but he doens't garden. If I grew all my own seedlings, then I shouldn't have to worry so much. I do understand that LB can travel 40 miles. I have seen some other gardens not infected. My other option is to build a big cloche and grown them inside.
Save$ is offline   Reply With Quote