View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Planted 3 types this year. Blue Lake Bush, White Half Runner, and Rattlesnake Pole Bean.

From a 20 foot row of White Half Runners, We got just about a bushel. Taste was amazing when cooked using salt pork (it's a tradition in my family).

From a 30 row of Rattlesnake Beans, we got a bushel and a half. Again, the taste was superb when cooked with some salt pork. We also did one pot with the bone from a smoked ham (Smithfield), and my brother kept going back for more.

The Blue Lake Bush Beans were phenomenal. The seed came from the local Co-op. I planted two rows, one 85 feet and one 75 feet. I set up each row with two parallel furrows about 8 inches apart. We got just over 10 bushels. I canned 84 quarts, froze 24 one gallon packages, and still gave away over 3 bushels. The production was more than I had ever seen. I tried to pick them as they came mature, but there was more of them than I could handle. I ended up pulling the vines and stripping the beans off under the shade of our big pine tree.

This super harvest allowed me to experience something totally unique. It was the first time ever that my neighbors were saying that they had all they could use. Now, I do try my best to take care of family. At least half of what I canned and froze will be given out to members of my family as they want them. After all, that's what it's all about. Don'tcha think??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0073.jpg (633.7 KB, 117 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote