View Single Post
Old October 5, 2012   #157
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeplanter View Post
For the purposes of your class, it sounds from your description that this will be a fair and successful study - of this particular pool filter DE as a medium. It just won't yield the answer to the question you would have preferred to ask - if a coarser DE would work nicely. But it's still a good experimental setup that you can repeat later with different material.

I assume this is for an stats class in experimental design? What school are you taking it at? The only think I think I might change is that the locations of the cells could be randomized on the bench. That would help account for variables that might be caused by edge effect, such as watering differences, air movement and humidity, and shading.

Other dependent variables you could measure might be separate root and shoot dry weights, specific root area, and leaf area.

Even if it doesn't arrive in time, I bet the greenhouse staff would let you set up another experiment using the Optisorb. They would probably find the results just as interesting as you will! I think you have a nice experiment going.
The class is a basic research methods course. I got my M.Ed. in August but I'm still working on my M.S. Agronomy. The institution is Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas.
Baizanator is offline   Reply With Quote