View Single Post
Old October 4, 2006   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

ok Grub ( oh you'll get worms with seaweed mulch!) ~

I use it - love it - & promote seaweed -
It has so many micro-nutrients its not funny ...
your tomatoes will LOVE IT !

But yes the question arises often : SALT

I've done some research (not like crazy scientific stuff but alittle "googling" and article searching -

My results MAY vary because I live at the BAYSHORE.
Not the ocean side (maybe my seaweed has less salt)

When I first started collecting seaweed I would lightly wrinse some - and add it to my compost bin - and mulch with it ...

There is no "fish smell" and the "wet-grass" smell goes away as long as you don't stack it on too high - like an inch or two - it drys out quickly - and the results come rather quick ... usually in about 3 - 4 days your plants take off : in regards to fruit production & vegitative ~
I do not prune btw ...

However, after reading a number of articles, some started saying you didn't NEED to wash seaweed ; and salt was no problem ... so I just plain
stopped washing it ~ I added it all - mussel shells, sponges, sea-grass - everything ...
I would just collect bunches of the stuff ; lay it down as mulch and add to the compost bin ...

Its really been great for a free mulch and a nutritious soil builder ... I have clay soil (and you guys have seen my little mater patch) - my soils been superfied !!!

I would use your best judgement ... if you think its too salty ? Wash it ...
You know who is doing it in Australia that I've talked to about it ? Fullmoon - shes using "your" seaweed ~

We need her to chime in here ~

Tom

ps.
I also practice bonsai (my screen name, lol) - I know there can be issues with plants in pots with salt -
but I've had NO ISSUES in the ground ~

pss.
TYW would love some seaweed !!! lol ~
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote