View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012   #185
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I thought your point about the "coarse sand" grade of the Ultrasorb being easier to handle than the larger particles of the Optisorb made sense.
The smaller particles are easier to work with when planting small seeds, but regardless both sizes work fine.

Quote:
Concerning earthworms, etc. . . . what I was thinking of was the cumulative effect over time of putting it into the garden. Any texture would have bits of various sizes, plus over time in a garden I suspect the larger particles would break down. In fact . . . doesn't the manufacturing begin with grinding what they mine to a fine powder, then manufacturing particles of different sizes?
No, they don't grind it to dust and glue it back together, that would defeat the purpose of it as a naturally absorbent material. It's a pretty stable material in its amorphous state, it's inert and not soluble in water. I wouldn't be concerned with it breaking down, it's been underground for 10 million years or so before it was mined, I think it will last awhile longer in your garden.

Quote:
Even if there was a modest accumulation in the garden that wouldn't necessarily be bad -- I'm sure that somewhere, when researching the food grade DE, I saw reports that areas where DE is a naturally occurring part of the soil have less problems with some "pest" bug critters. But I'd hate to have my earthworms trying to scratch itchy skin -- hard to do if you're an earthworm. [g]
I think a modest accumulation is a good thing, the larger aggregates improve aeration.
I don't know about its effects on soil pests, has that been proven or is it anecdotal? I only know the dry fine powder at least annoys pests on leaves, it works similar to kaolin clay as a feeding deterrent.
When you think about all the other sharp particles earthworm must run into underground , not to mention what they ingest when they eat, I don't think a little DE is going to give them itchy skin.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote