View Single Post
Old November 7, 2012   #58
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I know Mike will answer but the only place that I know that used to carry the original 1928 release of Rutger's that was indeterminate was Fedco and I don't know if they still do.

When Rutger's was rereleased in 1943, i think it was, then det, and in the 40's and 50's what we grew on the farm was the det one b'c that's the seeds that Harris Seeds carried and my father bought all of his seed from Harris. And well I remember that b'c the Harris "man" came right to the house to discuss what was new, etc., and took the order from my father directly.

Just checking my memory on the above:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Rutgers

Carolyn
According to Rutgers University,
Quote:
"However, when Rutgers was released by the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, Professor L. Schermerhorn invited and encouraged seedsmen to continue selecting for true types in their seed fields. Thus, the original Rutgers tomato line is long lost, and all the seeds sold today are derivative selections, possibly even different cultivars, from the original."
Burpee carries indeterminate, maybe a derivative, but likely close to the original heirloom.

Fedco still claims to have the original indeterminate, likely also a derivative.

Cambells Soup corporation was sending out for free old Rutgers seeds with a low germination rate that were in storage as a part of a charity community project a couple years ago, (Future Farmers of America) but I can't find anything now. Likely the program was terminated or isn't sending free seeds anymore. It was called "Grow your own Soup" if I remember correctly.

Earl May carries a strain called Rutgers 765 determinate
Harris carries a strain called Rutgers 39 indeterminate

There are also several semi-determinate strains.

The difficulty is that most people have not specifically named their strains like Earl May and Harris did. They seem to mostly just call it Rutgers no matter what the strain.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote