View Single Post
Old November 11, 2012   #27
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I have only a general idea of what I'm looking for, mostly flavor improvements in many of them (e.g. the Juliet crosses). I'm really looking forward to the Dr. Carolyn crosses as I'd love to have some striped/multicolored cherries. Dr. C is a really good tomato, as are those I crossed it with. I'd really like to have more multi-flora lines to play with so thats why I chose that variety.

Keep in mind you are growing the F1 plants next year (or now if you are in the southern hemisphere) and returning some of the F2 seed to me. The traits will start to segregate in the F2 plants likely grown in 2014.

I am not expecting much in the current F1's I sent you all. Think of it like the dwarf project. the F1 is usually pretty unremarkable. The dwarf plants start to show up in the F2. The F2 and beyond are the most interesting generations. It's also where the numbers of plants to grow explodes!

Many of the crosses I offered in this thread are between stable open pollinated parents. Thus the F1's will all be identical and there is no need to grow many plants. That's why I sent only a few seeds. Any cross with an F1 as a parent (e.g. Juliet or Sungold crosses) will segregate in the generation you received, so multiple plants would be good to grow. Don't go crazy though!

Don't hesitate to ask if there are other questions!
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote