View Single Post
Old November 15, 2012   #13
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

This was my first year growing to sell at farmers markets. Here's the #1 thing I learned:

THE MARKETS ARE SATURATED.

At least in my area (Salt Lake Valley). When I expected 2 or 3 other vendors to be specializing in tomatoes, I encountered 10 or 12. I made less than 10% of what my (I thought it was conservative) business plan projected. We were all going home with most of what we brought. BIG tomatoes, medium tomatoes, teeny tomatoes, striped tomatoes, fabulous tasting tomatoes - it didn't matter. People stopped and looked and took pictures, but not tomatoes.

Several weeks saw less than $30 in sales for some 25 hours of work (picking, labeling, packaging, driving, setup, waiting, selling, waiting, cleanup, driving, processing - you know the drill). The low point was $7.75 for 4 hours of market. A beautiful display of many varieties of cherry tomatoes plus a bunch of bigger ones. Not a single tomato sold. Luckily I had ground cherries, cucumbers, celery, eggplant and many other items, or I would have been skunked several times.

Perhaps I chose the wrong markets, but I just can't take such a risk again. The number of farmers markets has exploded in the past two years. I opened my business on the belief that there was high demand for fresh-local-organic. Apparantly supply now far out-strips demand. And not being much of a pushy salesman, I'm the one being squeezed out.

Basically, all the pest management, variety selection, high-ending of produce, display tactics, reduced pricing and sweet talking don't amount to much if the potential customers grow their own tomatoes or already bought from the lady in the next booth.

I'll fall back to seedling sales and CSA's, while further exploring small grocery stores and restaurants as market outlets. These did MUCH better for me in 2012 - enough to encourage me to give the micro-farming business another try in 2013.
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote