View Single Post
Old November 16, 2012   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Seamsfaster, I, too, grow for farmers markets, 4 of them a week, I have found that FRUIT is our biggest draw. strawberries, raspberries, grapes, apples etc. Whatever we grow and is reasonable priced. I haven't found that most people actually will pay a higher price for organically produced fruit and veg, at least in my area. So, I try to keep any sprays to a minimum if I must control something, But I can't compete with the "real organic" producers due to the cost of the organic sprays. I have to buy in much smaller quantities and therefore much higher prices. We grow and sell all of what we can do ourselves. No buying and reselling of anything. I despise the "growers" who lie through their teeth that they grow everything AND it's organic, too( and we all know it isn't because they bought it here and there). THAT, I can't compete with. We, who do the markets regularly, know who does and doesn't grow their produce. Be there first of the season and attract the customers from the beginning and they come to your table first every market. AND TALK TO THEM, some people buy from you just because you spent a little bit of time visiting with them. learn their names and call them by name. That "LADY" the the next booth just may do that and it means you "lost" a sale because she was willing to just say "Hi. How are you?, glad to see you again", how was the ....you took home last week?" I always give a replacement guarantee for my melons and food that I know you just can't sample until it is actually cut, tomatoes included. That goes a long way.