View Single Post
Old December 16, 2012   #59
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Anne, I'm glad to hear you're jumping on the grafting bandwagon; it's great fun and can be quite fulfilling when it works. I've gotta tell you, I didn't take any special precautions regarding the humidification of the hospital patients during their stay -- no spray holes, sponges, or nebulizers.

I didn't think to drop a hygrometer into the bin, but that would have probably been wise to measure and track. I tended to spray everything down, walls, plants and all (using a dilute seaweed extract water solution), once in the morning and once at night. Maybe I would have had better success if I had kept the plants more humidified. I didn't bother about not opening the lid, but I did try and keep them well isolated from direct light. Some of the plants that didn't make it developed mold or fungus from the over-saturation of water in the environment; but they were probably going to die anyway.

It's good that you're giving the process a practice run now before the big-time. Marla (Mlm1) was my instructor for grafting, so you can probably PM her for more detailed answers.

Good Luck!

Ami- It had occurred to me the humidity might be high in the room, which is why I tend to open the bedroom door from time to time. I haven't been opening the large bedroom window to the outside (gas bills are already too high), but that would probably help. I just checked the meter, and its reading 59-60% currently. I'll monitor the min/max from here. I think 60-70% is ideal, right?

Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote