View Single Post
Old December 18, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If it's the same as New Hampshire red pickling all the sources I see say open pollinated.

from here:
http://www.jeffsgardenofeaton.com/?page_id=18
Quote:
Mr. Green Thumb says:
May 7, 2011 at 5:05 am
Wow! You look busy! I found you too late for this year, but am spreading the word about you site. I buy my tomatoes from Territorial in Cottage Grove, and they do well, but they do not have the selection you do! Momataro and Brandywine are my favorites for sure, but I found one that I love that yo do not have…New Hampshire Red Pickling. The name is weird, I have to admit, and I have never pickled a tomato. It is a red pear tomato, juicy, firm, sweet, low acid, and large producer. I get it from Territorial, but it is actually an Abundant Life Organic Heirloom seed. Very Highly recommended! I will have to come out and see your set-up! I hope you do well! I am curious, do you harvest your own seed?
From here:

http://culinariaeugenius.wordpress.c...tomatoes-2011/
Quote:
* New Hampshire Red Pickling: Abundant Life says this little red pear tomato has a thick wall and smoky flavor that holds up for pickling. I found information about its hybridization here:

Some tomato growers in southern New Hampshire produce green tomatoes for pickles. The variety Red Pear which has been used for this purpose has an indeterminate plant with fruits distributed at some distance along the stems. The cost of harvesting green tomatoes for pickles is comparatively high because of uneven maturity of fruits. For this reason, we decided to produce a red-pear tomato on a determinate vine which would be earlv and which would produce a large crop at one time so that the cost of production could be reduced. The ordinary red-pear tomato was crossed with Fargo Yellow Pear, a variety produced some years ago at North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station.

The F^ -hybrids had a long vine and red fruits, and were productive and early. Seed from them gave many kinds of plants: some were determinate, some long, some with red fruit, some with yellow, some with uniform fruit color and some with fruits having green butts, some late, and some early. Selections were made from the early fruiting types with a fairly small, pear-shaped, red tomato. Since this is a comparatively simple breeding project, only two calendar years were required to complete it, during which time one generation was raised in the field each year and two in the greenhouse. The final result is New Hampshire Red Pickling Tomato from which one can pick a thousand tomatoes of pickling size per plant at one time. The variety has met with favor (Albert F. Yeager and Elwyn M. Meader, UNH Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin 440 June 1957).

Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote