Thread: Turnips ??????
View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013   #26
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Any winter veg is good roasted in a hot oven (425). The roasting process caramelizes the sugars and sweetens the flavors. This applies to any root vegetable (carrot, rutabaga, potato, etc...) I recommend cutting them in small, french fry sized pieces, add a little EVOO, add a lot of course sea salt or kosher salt, add fresh ground pepper to taste. Roast on a sheet pan until the turnips soften and are caramelized on the sides turning occasionally so they don't burn.
And that is exactly what I did. I tried two different sheet pans of them with different seasonings. While I can't say I really liked them, I also can't say they tasted as bad as when they were cooked with other methods. I will admit they were much sweeter baked on sheet pans. The deciding factor was as usual,
my wife. She still couldn't stand the taste. Everything we cook is cooked for two. If only one of the two doesn't like something, it doesn't really make any sense to cook it again. It isn't as much fun trying things alone. I think I will place turnips in the "don't try again" category and move on to something else. Thanks!

Ted

Last edited by tedln; January 13, 2013 at 03:59 PM.