View Single Post
Old January 19, 2013   #317
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Okay, I'm not that bright sometimes. How many of you mentioned that the DE would pour out of the holes? Pretty sure it was at least a few. I even got out some cotton to put in the bottom of the cells to prevent that.

But I forgot. So now there are 72 cells of rapidly germinating seeds and plants (Which is the good news!), and every time the upper tray with the cells has to be moved to pour water into the bottom tray, I lose some DE out of the cells. There is a tiny little Lipstick pepper seedling that is now in a deep dark hole. So sad!

So now the name of the game is "Do Not Move the Top Tray FOR ANY REASON!" Don't know exactly what is going to happen when I have to separate out any varieties to try to slow them down/speed them up for grafting purposes.
I think I warned of this problem. One thing I did when I had this situation was to just go ahead and move them into the bottom watering trays and then just pour more DE into the cups to replace the DE that had leaked out. It worked on most of them with no problems with the exception of the ones that had holes that were really way too big.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote