Thread: Genetics Math
View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Genetics Math

I am struggling to force my brain to accept some new programming and be able to re-learn a bit about genetics. It's been a lot of years, so unlike the dozens of dead progamming languages that rattle around in my head it's not coming back quickly.

I'm trying to work out the odds of finding the desired tomato from a given cross. I know there are variables that I cannot reliably account for, especially with some of the unstable lines but I want to discount that for the time being.

To make it easy (I hope) I wanted to figure out the odds of finding an elongated striped antho GWR cherry tomato from my proposed cross of Blue Green Zebra and Fred Hemple's Green Tiger Cherry.

Both are GWR, so I believe they have to be homogeneous for gf so the results should also be gf.

Both are striped, so presumably both are homogeneous for gs and the results should be gs.

Blue Green Zebra has some combination of Abg, Aft and atv. Two of those are dominant, 1 recessive as far as my reading tells me. So my undestanding is that half of the F2's should have some degree of anthocyanin expression, but without knowing which of these are actually present in BGZ I don't know. My feeling is that 1 of 4 will be strongly antho, but I can't say for certain.

Where I really start losing my grasp on the math is in fruit shape. My assumption is that the elongated cherry type comes from some interplay that includes the sun gene, but shape seems to be complex and I haven't found it explained anywhere.

So my assumption is that this cross will produce a F1 with a globe shape, green flesh, stripes and some of the antho speckles or shadow that seems to be indicative of the associated genes in a heterogeneous state.

I believe that the F2's would be an assortment of shapes with green flesh and stripes with 25% being strongly antho. I wish I could figure the odds on the fruit shape, but I don't have enough information as to the different genes in play to work out the math for that.

Please point out the flaws in my understanding, and if you know of something that will help me understand how fruit shape is determined I would be happy to read some more... It's much more interesting than the latest greatest new software development environment I should be learning at the moment.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; January 24, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote