View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013   #54
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I'd like to invite everyone to read through the seed starting info on my website.

http://www.selectedplants.com/seedlings.htm

I would also like to emphasize two critical points about growing seedlings.
1. Always start with sterile seed start mix.
2. Always cover the planted seed with a sheet of plastic or a bag or a plastic cover to prevent evaporative cooling.

One of the little "GOTCHA'S" in Craig's method is that he covers the trays with saran wrap. This does two things. It keeps the moisture where it is needed next to the seed and it prevents evaporative cooling. If you do not cover your seed after they are planted, the soil surface can easily be 15 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. This can take your 72 degree home temperature all the way down to 58 degrees which can be the death knell for tomato seed.

DarJones
I like that link Dar. LOTS of things in there that I always did because I knew they worked, but I wasn't sure really why they worked. Now I know the method behind my madness!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote