View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013   #22
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Deborah,
I bought them 3 seasons ago at a box store and have been replicating them since, I believe I have two kinds. One variety is Alpine and the other is what i would consider a standard large variety, not too sure. They have been such low maintenance that I haven't really paid much attention. My only issue in past years has been keeping the Sow bugs off the plants, they go to town on the berries. They both will fruit twice throughout the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Crandrew,

Your garden area is looking good!

I've germinated peas both ways - direct sow outside and germination inside and then under lights. I can't say that one way or the other worked any better for me. Better get that trellis done soon - once those pea vines take off they will go crazy!

I remember in another thread that you said you lived on Balboa Island. It's been about 10 years since I've been up there, but I recall at that time that yard space was very limited since houses were close together. It looks like you've got a nice sized yard area to work in!

Lyn
Lyn,
Thanks, so far its a work in progress, once the plants start to paint the colors it will look a lot better I have about 90% of the trellis done, and you aren't kidding. It took me 3 days to germ them and within the next 3 days they were 3 times as tall, just incredible growth.
Yes the lots are all very small and limited space, although I'm fine, and probably one of 10 with a yard. As with anything else in human nature, folks find a way to OVERKILL it! Houses on either side are 2 stories but next to those are 3 stories, so i'm thankful that their structures haven't blocked out my sun. But that day will soon come, sadly enough, then I will move and there will no longer be a vegetable garden on Balboa Island.
Thanks for looking

Last edited by Crandrew; February 4, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote