View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013   #10
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
I grew up in Parma. My mother who came from the old country always threw the veggie scrapes on the garden, she didn't wait for the scrapes to decompose. Obviously, digging the scraps into the ground would be better

As money may be an issue you will probably need to improve sections at a time. Work one area this year, another next year and so on.

Here are things I do,

homemade compost
coffee grounds, free at some Starbucks
alfalfa meal- Wilson's Feed mill on Canal Road
composted chicken manure- also from Wilson's
rabbit manure- free from a non-gardening friend (be careful not to over use the high nitrogen stuff)
if I used straw as a mulch the previous year, I turn it into the ground in the spring
I also use shredded paper as mulch and I turn that into the ground in the spring
in the fall, rake up all of the fallen leaves and layer over the garden and turn into the ground in the spring

Unfortunately, unless money isn't an issue this will be a process, you just have to keep at it year after year. Good luck.
Hi there! I bought all of my supplies from Wilson's last year for my grow beds and ferts! No one else around seemed to have anything of use. I arrived in June and still pulled off a pretty succesful garden thanks to them.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote