View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013   #11
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Good point Mark0820!

If kevn357 can get aged horse manure for free, then by all means! Get as much as you can! That will speed up the process a lot. I mentioned my quick fix solution based on kevn357 stating costs were a primary factor in preventing beds. But since free is free and you can't get any cheaper than that unless they actually delivered it free too! That is obviously an option and a good one!

Now if it was ME, I wouldn't even do anything but cover the whole thing in cardboard and manure topped with mulch in a lasagna style. Problem is that takes longer than 3 months to work. Drainage would be an issue that lazy ol me would live with a couple years until the soil mended.

But kevn357 sounds young and strong so he should be able to make raised beds without all the fancy square boards and such. Just hilled up kinda like potatoes. Then mulch (and manure if he can find free like you did) The idea is to provide drainage THIS YEAR, and worms do take some time to dig all those drainage holes! Those little buggars work hard, they really do! But 3 months isn't time enough, especially since most of them are probably hibernating or sleeping or whatever they do in winter!

You are right Dewayne mater but he said costs made that not an option.
Beds aren't an option due to garden size. I'm youngISH, not strong, but motivated to get this done to make my dad happy. He deserves it... I built him a couple of compost bins recently but they won't begin to be half way filled until the grass starts growing and the leaves starts falling. Planning ahead...

Drainage is the key for this year.

Horse manure? I'm not so sure I want to grow plants in clay plus fresh horse dung. Sounds like 10 foot nitrogen plants with no fruit? I can get Alpalca manure though.
I like the lasagna style approach though. I need to either drain or absorb.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote