View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013   #68
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Before I rush out to purchase a keg of molasses, there had better be a bit more evidence of the beneficial effects of applying. Anecdotal musings leave a lot to be desired, often the conclusions drawn have no relevancy to the situation. IMO
I haven't seen any evidence that the iron content of molasses would make a effective foliar treatment for iron deficiency. The question is...what form of iron is in molasses? I don't know. Molasses mixed with water will remove rust from iron, but if it remains as chelated iron oxide, it wouldn't be in an available form to the plant.
The most effective forms of iron for foliar treatment are the soluble mineral form, iron sulfate or the organic form, amino chelated iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I had some success with adding a little molasses and some chelated iron to water and using it as a foliar spray. It worked better than anything else I have tried. It was far more effective than using it as a soil drench; but I have no idea why.
Could it be the chelated iron had more to do with it than the molasses?
What chelator is in the product you used? For a synthetic iron chelate, the availability of iron in soil depends on what chelate is used and what the PH of the soil is.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote