View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Excellent point. We have only done this successfully with cherry tomatoes, and I think it has worked because cherry tomatoes can produce new flowers prolifically if they are actively growing.

In thinking back, there is one other case where this method has worked well -- we used to do it when we had cherry tomato plants in containers. If the plants are outgrowing the container (5 gallon pots in our case), it was better to cut them back severely mid-season. That way we didn't lose the plant to drought related death on a hot day when we just couldn't water enough times.

One thing to consider before you start cutting plants though -- it can greatly increase the risk of spreading disease. I am generally not a proponent of pruning, for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
His photo shows cherries, and new mixed romas and other small fruit, you can do this type of plants i think. Any bigger tomato's would be tough to cut like this. What i did learn a few years ago, was with the only 1 stem growing the first 30 days when the plant is in ground. I get fruits early usually about 24"-30" tall, then the plant grows taller and another set of flowers. Then i let the plant spread to other stems for the last fruit near top. So i get 3 crops which is nice. All my friends just let the plants go as soon as in ground, fruit is late summer then, i give them some of mine. So 1 stem for at least 1 set of fruits near bottom for me.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote