View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013   #9
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
LOL lakelady... Pest plants are just so much work. One man's treasure blah blah blah.

Oh man Japanese Barberry interspersed with Poison Ivy - how wicked is that combo?

One day soon I'll take a drive to the park where there is a lot of Pine etc. Just me and a few big bags, or better yet my Rubbermaid storage container or two. I like the cones that are all nice and open, not the ones that resemble old cigars, they are too dense. But I'll gather what is out there for me.

As no one is needing to cut the grass yet, in fact snow is possible this Sunday, I'll just keep up with the blenderized kitchen scrapes and the coffee grounds for my 'greens'.

if only my leaf vacuum worked better, I'd be chopping up the pine cones in that. I bought one of those less powerful models late fall which works fine for sucking up dry leaves. What I was disappointed about was that it didn't mulch very fine.

One good invention that needs to be invented is a kitchen model shredder. Bigger, more powerful that the kitchen blender, but much more scaled down from a garden chipper.
It's already been invented; it's called the "Under-sink Kitchen Garbage Disposal". You just need to adapt an old one to your needs.

Make a hopper by mounting the "in-feed" drain basket piece to a hole that you cut into the bottom of an old Tupperware bowl. The discharge end needs to go into a bucket, so it could deposit the goodies. You need to be creative to tie and hold it all together while keeping everything pretty much sealed up. Set it up on a small stand to slide the bucket (maybe 1 gal) underneath.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote