Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013   #12
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everyone for the warm responses, I don't share a lot of personal information so this was a different experience for me to share this. I've enjoyed reading so much from everyone else and their experiences and hope that someone new may take something from my experience.

Quote:
I recommend you visit some garage/thrift/rummage sales to get a bargain on a canner or two. I still see them used for around $5 in nice shape up here in Siberia
I am hoping to can possibly this year, I found for whatever reason that it was easier for me to grow tomatoes than it was to grow herbs! For whatever reason the basil, cilantro and oregano didn't do much of anything for me last year but I don't give up easily so we're trying again this year. It was really nice making the spaghetti sauce in the crock pot, adding the herbs we bought at the grocery store and taking the time to skin the tomatoes and spoon out the seeds.

Quote:
I'm in central NC about an hour north of Raleigh. Where are you?
We're about 20 minutes north of Asheville in Weaverville NC. I love the Asheville farmer's market, I remember going there as a child but we stopped going, growing tomatoes has me going all over again. I have not been to the Greensboro or Raleigh markets, I may make it a day and travel to one of them though this summer. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Oh, I've been meaning to ask. Who's the furry guy with the toupee in your pic?
He's a riot!
I wish I could take credit for the dog with the toupee but I found him on the internet one year and so when I was thinking of a good avatar I remembered him. I still smile every time I see him!
@kilroyscarnival, I believe I read on here somewhere that someone else made crock pot spaghetti sauce but I took the recipe at this site below and tweaked it to my liking.

http://www.food.com/recipe/my-crock-...ti-sauce-67860

I've attached a more recent photo of our daughter Ava, it's hard to believe that she's almost 1 already!
My wife is pregnant again with a due date of October 9th so I better get good at growing vegetables!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-11_13-02-23_456.jpg (154.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Al@NC; March 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote