View Single Post
Old March 21, 2013   #18
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If the 35% sodium is right then it's 89% sodium chloride. The rest of the stuff listed amount to about 1% from in my head additions of the bigger amounts. Some of the difference between 90% and 100% is the other elements that are a associated with the metals listed. Mostly chlorine and oxygen would be my guess.

Here's what I do know. In New York State they spread 500,000 tones of salt on the roads every year. That amounts to 16.6 tons for every lane-mile of road in the state. A lane-mile is one lane one mile long. In other words they spread 33 tons of salt on every mile of road every year.
http://www.newyorkwater.org/download...ntanimpact.cfm

Now all that salt ends up of the side of the roads. In the ditches and lawns and so forth. Here is what I don't see. I don't see lawns growing better near the road. Ok that might be too much salt, but that should mean that you should see a better growing lawn somewhere between the road and the back and you don't. It's also not being covered up by fertilizing our lawns because none one has ever fertilized the lawns here ever as far as I know.
You also don't see it in corn fields which many time come as close to the road as you can plow. In fact you will see the opposite. Corn near the road doesn't do as well sometimes as that which is farther back.

Other things that I see there that really make me wonder. It's common to feed cattle and sheep free choice salt with trace minerals. It's usually put out in a block form. Where I see it's miss leading is that they say two to three ounce per day for hogs. Hogs need salt at a similar rate that we do. I've been around hogs that where being fed things like surplus bread and stuff. You have to make sure to don't feed stuff like breads stuffing mix because it has too much salt in it.

In conclusion they are trying to down play or hide the fact that this salt with whatever minerals are in it. They are claiming that the ocean mix of minerals is the correct one, which might be correct for a salt water aquarium but I'd want to see why that is so for a land based plant where there is alread many things in the soil. Adding salt with minerals in it doesn't seem to show up in a positive way along northeast roads where a lot of salt is put down.

This is just my opinion, but when I see someone change units in the middle of a headed column like that, I really question everything else they have to say. I personally detest any company that I feel I have to continuously keep my eyes on.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote