View Single Post
Old March 23, 2013   #102
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf4grrl View Post
For someone to answer the question as to how the "sweet beverly" I got in 2011 was absolutely not stable (a "cross") and one of those "crosses/hybrids" became "sweet sharon" (the white cherry) months later.
Wait, I'm confused. Your white segregate became Sweet Sharon? You sent seeds from that one back to your seed source and that's how you know it's unstable?
If what you got in the seeds that were sent to you was an F2 from an accidental cross of Sweet Beverly x ?, that would suggest that the mystery parent was clear skinned and the F2's were segregating for that (the difference between a white tomato and a pale yellow being skin color). If you sent those back to your original seed source than they'd be at best F4 (sent back F3 seed, grown out to F4) and still unstable.

On the other hand, yellow to clear skin seems to be one of the more "common" mutations out there (see Dr. Carolyn/Green Doctors Frosted). I see it as totally plausible that Sweet Sharon is simply Sweet Sharon clear skin if that's what the original source got (not a segregate from you). I dropped 20 Sweet Sharon seeds yesterday (seeds from Marianna's). And will probably grow out at least 10. If they're all the same, that'll pretty well settle the debate for me. I'm doing that not because I need 10 more cherry tomato plants (I really don't), but because I believe that I'd rather know for myself, rather than just take what I hear on the Internet.

I almost didn't "re-ignite" this thread, because feeding into it wasn't helping anybody, but your post sat un-answered in a substantive way for days, and I thought you deserved the dignity of a meaningful response. I hope we can continue this conversation in a tone of mutual respect and honest sharing of experience and knowledge.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote