View Single Post
Old March 23, 2013   #105
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
How's the tournament going? Still no big rush, but I'd still love to hear more about the selection strategy for OTV, and your other thoughts on my idea about general heirloom history.
Thanks!
That tournament was the 1000 Masters tournament in Indian Wells, CA, and now it's the same with the Sony one in Miami, but I've had no time to even watch that one.

Paddy, you can help by getting youtrself to my home and helping me get all these new varieties sorted out. I let the four folks helping me with seed production make their own choices off the list I sent, I rotate who goes first each year, to be fair.

Some wanted the same varieties, so now I have to count seeds to see if there's enough seeds for both and for some enough seeds to send to Craig in Raleigh who raises my plants for me.

And I'm still waiting for some new seeds to arrive. Yesterday two new ones from Clara (Germany)came, she'd sent some great ones earlier, I love the name of one that came yesterday called Heartbreaker in translation, waiting for some seeds from Fred Hempel, and still waiting for seeds from Marina in Russia. She got mine, and we sent each other seeds just one day apart, but mine aren't here yet.

You're not going anywhere, nor am I so when things calm down I'll get back to you, I will, on some of what you said in your original post, with which I don't agree.

Do I donothng other than fool around with seeds every day and night? No way, I have other responsibilities and things I want/need to do as well.
But quickly, my selection for what Craig and I named OTV Brandywine was based on the picture that was sent back to Craig L, who had sent seeds of Yellow Brandywine to this person and the picture and F2 seeds were sent back to Craig.

So I tried to select for a large red beefsteak on a plant with PL foliage as was shown in the picture from the F2 seeds sent back.

And it took me out to the F5 or F6, I can't remember right now, before I had it and it was stable. And that's growing out and making selections each summer. No greenhouse growing, just 5-6 long years making selections each summer.

Carolyn