View Single Post
Old April 5, 2013   #13
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdzejachok View Post
What method do you use to keep these segregated in the field?
@sdzejachok

Since I do not have that many varieties I do put a label on each plant at the base at planting time.

For TPS progeny I give a temporary name to each plant. The name uses the potato mother's name for example Amey gave me TPS berries in 2010, 2011, 2012 so the 2010 berry got the name AmeyX and I grew TPS seedlings in 2011. I had many TPS seedlings so I choose 4 based on the looks of the plant itself. One particular plant was showing dark blue stems so I took that and named it Amey X #1, another was completely green no slight color so it got named Amey X #2 and the other 2 were similar in form some slight blue color to the stem named Amey X3 and X4. At the end after harvest, I looked at all the tubers from each plant and ate one of each. If you can select at this point it cuts the process a bit. The ones that had potential (flavor, yield, looks) got stored and the others let go. I did the same with many other TPS lines!

In the Amey X example only 2 were interesting enough to me to continue both were Russet potatoes as Amey mother but one was blue skinned/white flesh the other was pale yellow flesh.

Seeking permission from Tom Wagner in regards of the name I named one "Amey Azul" the other yet is unnamed. From the yields Amey Azul is promising with big tubers, stores well also, it bloomed a lot and even set 1-2 berries that I failed to collect!!! The bad things is flavor is just average and the tubers had some scab and wireworm damage. Amey mother is more disease resistant. I am growing it again this year to see and maybe even try to cross it back to Amey mother and see it set berries.

Last edited by wmontanez; April 5, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote