View Single Post
Old April 6, 2013   #17
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Maybe not as densely planted as all the descriptions on the web.I first thought there was a whole new cultivar/variety of plants.But in reality microgreen just means densely planted harvested young and from what I gather more nutrients in younger seedlings.I do let some growout/transplant for seeds so as not to keep sending money to the seed companys.Correct me if I am wrong.But it is a real good marketing ploy for the novice and as I can see a real moneymaker.Both baby greens and microgreens lack any legal definition. The terms "baby greens" and "microgreens" are marketing terms used to describe their respective categories. Sprouts are germinated seeds and are typically consumed as an entire plant (root, seed, and shoot), depending on the species. For example, sprouts from almond, pumpkin, and peanut reportedly have a preferred flavor when harvested prior to root development. Sprouts are legally defined, and have additional regulations concerning their production and marketing due to their relatively high risk of microbial contamination compared to other greens. Growers interested in producing sprouts for sale need to be aware of the risks and precautions summarized in the FDA publication Guidance for Industry: Reducing Microbial Food Safety Hazards for Sprouted Seeds (FDA 1999).

Last edited by kurt; April 6, 2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Copy and pasted info in larger type
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote