View Single Post
Old April 23, 2013   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I can't sell a plant, tomato, pepper or flower for $3.00 each where I am at. I will end up tossing them at the end of the season. I MUST be less and have a better product than the local big box store. Word of mouth advertising is priceless. I do not spend any money on advertising. That makes the effort null at the end of the day. even a small add in a local paper is cost prohibitive. I belong to a small farmers market and we don't charge exorbitant fees...we have no advertising budget to speak of we depend on word of mouth and coverage from promotions of special events.
Tops: $1.50 per 4" plant or $1.50 for 3 in a cell pack. We also can't live on what the greenhouse and produce earn us. I work in the greenhouse or garden 6-12 hours a day for at least 6 months of the year. not a real return on my investment of time nor could I afford to hire help. I would have nothing left at the end of the season.
I also don't buy any of my greenhouse structures new. Everything we have we have purchased standing and used. We dismantle them, bring them home reassemble them and invest in new plastic, wiring and plumbing if we put water in the house. We do all the work ourselves.
I do have the good fortune of being near a very reasonable wholesaler for most of my products, so I am able to do more for less on a lot of my growing. Buying from a wholesaler makes a huge difference in whether you can make a growing operation even break even in our society. You are dependent on consumers to purchase your product. If you don't have them AND an excellent product there is no way to make a profit of any kind. Otherwise it is a hobby that is costing you money. We have the means to haul and equipment with which to excavate and utilize for the pads, saving us much money to get the structures put up. Adultish sized children are also helpful. ESPECIALLY the really TALL one to help with the plastic And the really mechanically inclined one that is incredibly strong and "I can do it" attitude....I wish I had two of each of them.

Good luck and I hope your greenhouse venture does well for you.

I started out with a tiny, built on the back of the house covered in cheap plastic, greenhouse. I didn't just start buying and putting up houses and expecting the customers to show up. Next I added a 16x20 leanto on the south side of the house (which we did buy new, but it was fabricated specifically for that spot) which came from the proceeds of the previous year , the next year we added a 12x20 high tunnel, the next year a 15x30 double layer poly tunnel greenhouse. A couple of 15x30 high tunnels to grow in, too. last year we purchased a 20x24 and put it up. this year...we take a break, I think. Unless we find a bargain big enough to grow raspberries in.... and there is money from the markets to provide the cash to do so. otherwise it will wait. Good thing my husband has two real jobs and can do quite a few other things for profit if need be. Me? I just grow plants, cook (sometimes) clean the house, run any parts Dh has forgotten or had to change the way to do something for the days job...I think I am more of a gofer, go for this and go for that....etc.