View Single Post
Old May 15, 2013   #8
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Default Ants are a good sign that you have aphids, other sucking insects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittenGarden View Post
We bought my husband a meyers improved lemon tree last year. but it needs repotting. its actually shameful of how we haven't looked after it.

while i was just looking at my zucchinis and toms and giving them water...I noticed a lot of ant activity on the patio. But as its on the edge of the garden I assumed that they were in the grass somewhere.

then I went to give the trees pot a little misting. It was then I noticed that around the drain holes of the pot were clay like dirt piled out in what look like play doh spaghetti forms. Its looking like they have nested inside the pot under the tree.

what should I do? its already trying to form fruit. I've read online I may have been under watering it? but I thought you could easily over water fruit trees.
what is the right amount of watering?
Most ants feed at night, but there are some that feed during the day, but not in great numbers.

Ants are like dairy farmers, the actually place the aphids, and orther sucking insects on the bottom of succulent leaves just like a dairyman will put cows in the best fields for the day. They then milk the aphids for the honeydew secreted by the aphids for the ants food source just like a dairyman does when he milks his cows.

But most times you don't see the ants because they do this most during the night time.

Look for aphids and other sucking insects during the day.

Easy way to kill them is to bury a small container level with the soil level, fill with a honey surgary mixture and water, add a few drops of liquid soap, they will smell the sweetness and try to drink falling in and drowing.

Also with boric acid, find were they are coming out at night, place some tin foil over the hole, punch a new hole thru to their hole, add the boric acid on the tin foil, they will do the rest when they walk thru it.
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote