View Single Post
Old May 21, 2013   #630
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Isn't the idea of using these root stocks to prevent the use of sprays. These plants are supposed to be immune to early blight etc?
That particular rootstock is resistant to two of the three races of fusarium. Even being resistant is no guarantee that the plants won't eventually come down with it if there is heavy infestation in the soil. I know because even the most resistant hybrids usually come down with fusarium in my garden but it takes much longer and I am able to get a lot more production from them. Sometimes they last the whole season as do occasionally a few heirlooms.

I don't believe there are any plants that are resistant to foliage diseases like Early Blight but some do tend not to get it as bad as others so I suppose there must be some resistance. The purpose of using resistant rootstock for grafting is to help against soil borne problems like fusarium, bacterial wilt, verticullum, and nematodes. So far this season I have seen no signs of fusarium on any of the grafted plants in my garden but it is still early.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote