View Single Post
Old May 24, 2013   #42
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
Okay, I recall a few seasons ago blindly adding and probably way too much lime to a few beds that undoubtedly have not fair well for any tomato plants. The plants struggle but don't die,, they eventually grow but don't produce much and if any, way late and few at eos. My question is what would be considered too much for a well composted bed of about a 100 sq.ft? And I think I over applied the following season too..I seem to look okay with the color test capsule rapitest kit.. but I think I still overdosed a couple of my troubled tomato beds using too much lime. I thought at the time, tomato plants like lots of lime/ I also used lots of wood ash my the wood stove too over the last few years. probably used in total last four seasons.. one full bag of lime and at least a couple five gallon buckets of wood ash ( about a five gallon every season.. I haven't limed last two season but prior to that I used about a 10lbs per bed per season. Going to send some soil out to get tested soon. Just curious if I used too much of either/both.
This sounds like a LOT of lime to me if 10 lbs per 100 sq ft bed per season. Lime, as with any other amendment, can build up in the soil and you can overshoot your target. I'm with Scott. I can't begin to make a recommendation without a soil test.

See if you can find a copy of "The Intelligent Gardener" by Steve Solomon at your local library. It's a small paperback, but loaded with soil mineral information. I found it very helpful.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote