View Single Post
Old May 27, 2013   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Huntoften,

The other issue with flats and inserts to be aware of it that there are two different sizes of flats to purchase. One is considered a TRUE 1020 which is the actual dimension of the flat and inserts the other is actually a 10 1/2"x 201/2" dimension. So wherever or whatever you choose to do make sure the flats and refill inserts are the same brand or dimension.

Cole Robbie, I am not sure what brand my inserts are (doesn't say in the catalog) but I have never heard of them not ripping apart as needed. Are you using a growers tray maybe for nursery growing? I know that there products are sturdier than greenhouse ones. Just a thought and trying to help, not make it difficult for you, I just think this should not be this much work for you to take them apart. Are they the standard depth for a flat, too? I don't grow my larger tomatoes in them because I don't like the depth of them and as my tomatoes get to the 1' stage later in the season (and it does happen)they tumble sideways and I get tired of watering them this way.