View Single Post
Old June 2, 2013   #58
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ivan, I appreciate your inputs and expertise. From what I've read on the university sites, you're right about prevention being the only organic solution. I differ in your conclusion that I should not worry about the problem. Assuming L.T. is indeed what I have, and that seems quite likely (though I'd like to confirm), I know from experience that it can destroy a healthy vine in the matter of weeks. I know from experience last year in the same garden, that as the heat rose, my plants went down fast. I realize that the heat also acts as a barrier for further infestation, but I must already be largely infected. Ironically, last year as the Fall season came on with cooler temps, I noticed many of my seemingly dried up and dead vines were able to recover somewhat, put out new shoots, and power on. However, it was too late in the season for any of the fruit that set around Nov to actually mature.

In effect, this condition resulted in my gathering really only one or two rounds of harvest from my indeterminates. Harvest from very sick plants that were already half-"dead" of tomatoes which set when the plants were healthy. I wonder what effect that had on the taste/quality of the tomatoes as well.

I suspect I may do better this year with the grafted vines, but I don't feel I can just ignore the problem. My estimate for average lb of yield per vine (2' square space) was about 5lb or less. I would like to be 30+lb.

Thanks so much.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote