View Single Post
Old June 10, 2013   #25
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradajz View Post
p.s.

hi, Naysen,

for now just the info on a preferable soil PH for tomato growing- it's ideally 6.8, but i would really love to meet a fellow who can achieve this in the whole cycle

bower,

could you post some overall photos of affected plants, of plant's top area ( new growth ) and other ( back ) side of the leafs with chlorosis?
also, can you estimate the amount of rainfall in the last couple of weeks, and finally, did you use any ferts there lately?

good night, all.
Ivan,
Pictures of the top (curled and spotty) and bottom leaves (not affected) and the back side of leaf and detail are attached below. Thanks to your insightful question, I see there are some white bumps present on the underside vein, maybe insect eggs?
The weather has been unseasonably warm and dry but also humid and windy in the week before this damage appeared, although it has been rainy and cold on occasion (including the last three days). The plants are in a greenhouse so not directly affected by rainfall. The greenhouse was open though, for about a week during the warm and windy weather, while we were doing emergency renovations (carpenter ants had made a nest and were eating the structure.) Small pests like blackflies certainly got in (nasty biters!), and plant pests may have as well. The sudden chlorosis appeared on peppers also during the construction and warm weather - spores could have blown in through the window screen, or pests entered by the open doors.
As for chemicals in the air due to construction, the lumber was pretreated with linseed oil and a small amount used afterwards, and the structure was sealed with silicone which gives off only some mild acetic acid fumes.
Kimberley and other plants in growbags were bunched together during the construction which finished May 30, so I didn't see the damage until I moved them afterwards. 6 days ago on June 4, I gave Kimberley and other growbag plants some GreenEarth fertilizer 4-6-8 and a top dressing of compost.
TIA, your expert advice will be much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chlorosis-kimtop.JPG (155.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg nochlorosis-kimbottom.JPG (75.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg chlorosis-underside.JPG (198.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg chlorosis-underside-detail.JPG (70.8 KB, 27 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote