View Single Post
Old June 11, 2013   #33
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Default What size container are you growing in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent004 View Post
I can attest to the wicking power of coir. I have a determinate tomato (Sophie's Choice) growing in potting mix consisting of 2.5 gallons of mixed coir and 2 gallons of coarse perlite. Right now it's about 28 inches tall and has about an 18 inch spread. It's currently has about a dozen tomatoes growing.
So you have a total of 4.5 gls of mix, must be at least a 5 gl bucket, inside another 5 gl bucket, and everything is going great so far.

Just shows you that you don't need a big tub, to grow in.

I, design and build for my customers, a single 5 gl SIP system with a 2 gl water reservoir, with 3 gls of soil-less mix.

See the Thread "5 gl Gro-Bucket using only 1 Bucket"

But greenhouse growers use less than 1 gl of soil-less media, and grow thier indetermiante tomato's 10 months of the year, and the vines grow anywhere from 150-180 feet in that 10 months.

So, you might be thinking about now that since you don't have a greenhouse, you can't grow them that way. But who said you have to grow them in a greenhouse. Your backyard is quite sufficent to grow the same way.

But first you must grab the concept of Wick Hydropnic growing. There are just 3 basic simple steps.

1. A continous fresh water supply for each plant.
2. A continous 1/4-1/3 diluted nutrient supply for each plant.
3. A support system for each plant.

Terry Layman
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote